Friday 20 September 2013

Research and ideas for chosen songs

MUSIC VIDEOS THAT INTEREST ME:


'Still Into You' by Paramore

I love the vibrancy of this music video. As the song is very energetic and uplifting, I think that the pastel colours and the fast-pace editing really compliments the song and is visually likeable to any audience. Although the video is purely performance-based, it still works because Hayley Williams has a lot of charisma and likeabilty about her when she is performing. I like the use of iconography when she and her bandmates are riding bicycles in the house because it adds a rebellious and care-free vibe. The slow-motion effect also compliments the slow-pace of the pre-chorus. I also like the use of ballet dancers in the second verse as it contrasts with Williams' unique fashion with her odd-died hair, leather jacket and Doctor Martens. I noticed that this is an intertextual reference. Argubly, I think that it would be quite difficult to film a video similar to this as the location and colourful/unique iconography would be difficult to gather.


'We Found Love' by Rihanna

This music video is a complete contrast to the Paramore video. Unlike 'Still Into You', I really like the darkness of this music video. I love Rihanna's grungy clothing and I think there is a great and believable chemistry between her and her co-star. They remind me of a modern version of 'Bonnie and Clyde' in the video and I love the negative yet very strong and passionate love and friendship that is being portrayed. I like the sense of realism that is demonstrated within the music video with an apparent narrative and concept: how a growing obsession over drugs can ruin a relationship. I think the lighting that is used in the performance segment is very effective. A fast-moving motorway is projected onto Rihanna as she is singing which could represent her fast growing obsession with drugs and her partner. However, the video is unconventional to the dance genre of the song. Usually a dance video would involve clubs, dancers and a mix between high and low-key lighting to portray a party atmosphere, however this video does the opposite, but I think it works.



'5 Years Time' by Noah and the Whale

I love the simplicity of this music video. I admire the 'old-age' filter effect that has been used when editing. I also like the mix of camera movement with a handheld movement used frequently. I think this effect is simple and effective and works well with the relaxed song, this is an editing style I would highly consider for my music video.








 

SONGS TO CONSIDER:

Female
The Apple Tree - Nina Nesbitt
Way in this World - Nina Nesbitt 
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Our Day Will Come - Amy Winehouse
Male
Gold Rush - Ed Sheeran
Mr Brightside - The Killers
I Will Wait - Mumford and Sons
The Cave - Mumford and Sons


1 comment:

  1. This post demonstrates some planning and the various songs and artists that you considered for your music video. Now you need to explain, which song you have decided on and how you will apply for copyright permission.

    ReplyDelete